Headshots were once exclusively for executives, actors, models and authors. But in today’s world of online professional networking and job-hunting, headshots have become an essential part of everyone’s professional profile. Finding your professional headshot photographer should be easy, just look on Google or other online adverts, and you’re sure to find someone near you. But not all the headshot photographers are alike.
- First, check out the photographer’s work. His or her portfolio will tell you his/her style. Aside from individual headshots or pictures from the portfolio, ask for a series of pictures in one shoot. Look for constancy in the quality of his or her work.
- Connection is critical. Your professional headshot photographer will be telling your story in one or two pictures. Having a connection with the photographer is an important element in a good photo shoot. Connection results in an openness and ease when telling the photographer what you want and what your expected result are.
- Speak up and be heard. Communication between you and the professional headshot photographer should be clear both ways. If you want your story to be told in one picture, you must be upfront with who you are and what you want. Your photographer must know enough details about you, your profession and daily activities, for him or her to make relevant inputs and create the perfect backdrop or ambiance to your photo-shoot.
- The professional headshot photographer must be sensitive and put you at ease if you are nervous and uncomfortable, but inquisitive enough to ask you pertinent questions about yourself and your vision in order to provide you with pictures you’ll be satisfied with.
- Set up a meeting with the professional headshot photographer before finalizing the date of the photo-shoot. Get that connection and keep the lines of communication open. Explain your goals and expectations clearly.
So ask yourself, “Where are the best professional headshots near me?”, take some time and do your research. Your professional headshots are important, as they will represent you at first glance, and should give a good first impression. Another important factor, aside from getting the best photographer, is you. Being yourself and being comfortable with yourself is a key factor when having your professional headshots done. The best professional photographer knows this and will put you at ease. So connect, communicate and articulate your goals, and most importantly, be yourself.